Thursday, October 27, 2011

"Coyote Hunts the Sun" Rehearsal Log, October 26

Last night’s rehearsal was smooth sailing. The only troublesome part was hashing out how the songs towards the end are going to work, and the only change I had to make to the script was actually an un-scripting of the car-chase scene. Just like I’ve been creating structures for Ranae to riff on as the Schoolteacher, and for me when I tell the story at the end, I let the words I wrote for the car-chase go, and just riffed on the high points. This allows me to have a much more organic, even flirtatious, relationship with the audience.

The transition songs between the Battle of Kekionga and the final story troubled me at first, because I just wasn’t feeling it as an organic transition. So we tried a thing or two, tweaked this and that, and ended up pretty much with the structure I’d written, with only the minor change of having Ranae sit after she starts singing. My singing, while it felt unmotivated when we started rehearsing it, seems to derive organically from the tension that Ranae and I create in the Battle of Kekionga. The songs do provide the atmospheric bridge that I need between the Battle and the final story.

All in all, I’m pleased with the direction Coyote Hunts the Sun is headed, and I’m especially confident with this final sequence that we rehearsed last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment