Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My Introduction to "America's Next Top Model"

I watched America’s Next Top Model for the first time this week. I will never get that hour of my life back. It was one of the most superficial things I’ve ever seen. The overall structure was very internet-y: the cuts between shots gave it an epileptic pace, and the countdown format was like something you would see on Cracked.com (they were counting down the “top ten flirty moments” of their twentieth cycle). The overall theme was not fashion, but cattiness and superfluous drama. It’s appeal is not so much industry like TheSartorialist.com, but rather gossip like TMZ. The stereotyped characters – the flamboyant yet incisive gay, the manic pixie dream boy, the slightly mannish trans woman – also made the show thoughtless noise that stimulates the senses but deadens the mind. I would have had a more fulfilling evening looking at pictures in a magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment