Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Coyote Hunts the Sun" Opening

That’s right folks! Coyote Hunts the Sun opened last night! Darci and I got there early to run lights, and that went pretty smoothly. She just needed a little more practice. Then we took a little break to eat dinner and set up the marquee and fold programs, and then Ranae and Chris got there. We ran through it with lights and only one hitch – Chris accidently got locked outside. So we ended up taping the locks down on the doors.

When we finished, we started to do a little photo shoot. I took the first picture, and then the room went dark. Apparently five lights, a laptop and a projector are too much for our poor little Cabaret, and we blew a fuse. We rushed to plug everything that needed to be plugged in to sockets that still had juice, and we tried to pick the lock to the breaker room. We couldn’t, though. I guess that’s I new skill I need to learn on YouTube.

But we got everything rigged up in the nick of time, we got Chris’ stigmata on, and we opened the house (special thanks to Erin Treat for agreeing to be house manager at the last minute).

I killed the house lights, and Darci brought up the stage lights. I gave my little intro about the play, and Native Arts Forum at Wompowog (of which this is the flagship piece – more about that later) and then we started.

Half an hour later we finished. The coyote was cooked and the sun was risen. We took a five, and then started the talk back.

What an informative event! I realized that Coyote Hunts the Sun is not even close to finished. Some of the things that bothered people – like the non-linearity and layered voices – are things that they’re not used too, but that I loved. They’re staying for sure. But I do appreciate that things moved fast, and that combined with the layering makes it easy to get lost. When I start rewriting, I’m definitely going to take more time to develop relationships between Pihnêefich, Wovoka, Makataimeshkiakiak and the Schoolteacher. When I was talking to the two Natives in the audience (that I knew of) afterwards, they brought up that the Schoolteacher was doing exactly what schoolteachers should do – they should talk about the Wounded Knee Massacre and the boarding schools – these are things that the dominant culture has a responsibility to address and take a responsibility for. In the new, longer version then, the Schoolteacher is going to have to tell the stories that we find in history books. You know, how Indians are in the first chapter and then poof! we’re gone.

This version is going remarkably well, though, and I’m really grateful to have Darci, Ranae and Chris on board. But I am finding out where this piece needs to go next, and I can’t wait to learn more tonight.

1 comment: